Seven Natural Healthy Ways break Stress and Anxiety patterns:
- Reading: reading for pleasure or personal development is a great way to slow down and take time out. Some people find that their favourite fiction allows them to escape their habitual worries while others prefer non-fiction as a way to wind down with some people having favourite books that they can go back to again and again. Reading in bed may tire the eyes and make it easier to sleep.
- Listening to music: music can favourably alter our mood. It can relax us, motivate us, make us feel happier. Some personal development coaches recommend that we choose our favourite music that falls into each of these categories and make our own personalised playlists whenever we want experience these different mindsets. We can even choose a favourite song and listen to it in our minds when we want to change our mood.
- Nature: being in nature has many physical and mental health benefits. It can be as simple as spending time in your garden. If you don’t have a garden maybe you create one, or at least a small space with pot plants or a water feature. Or we can spend time at a local park or visit the beach regularly. Find a place that relaxes or inspires you and try and visit weekly as way to recharge.
- Practise Gratitude: There are many ways to do this. You can write down 3 things each day that you’re grateful for or 3 great things that happened during the last 24 hours. You can learn to be grateful for simple things that you’ve previously taken for granted. You can explain why you are grateful for each thing and finally you can imagine how much poorer your life would be without those positive things or experiences.
- Practise Mindfulness: Just slowing down and doing everyday tasks with greater mindfulness and awareness can help us to relax and appreciate simple pleasures. One Hollywood movie star said that he liked to just mindfully wash the dishes as a way to relax.
- Practise Relaxation: Try spending 10-15 mins daily lying down on your carpet or yoga mat in the savasana position and just allowing your body and mind to relax completely. The savasana position from yoga is just lying on your back with your feet shoulder width apart and your arms slightly apart from your body.
- Hypnotherapy: clinical hypnosis or hypnotherapy can help to change anxious patterns of thought and feeling by reprogramming your subconscious mind to respond differently. Hypnotherapy is similar to a guided meditation which can be done weekly for a few sessions. Some hypnotherapists even make personalised recordings for their clients. You can also do self-hypnosis by imagining your own peaceful place in nature.